Wednesday 28 October 2015

Moving Out Of Your Comfort Zone

I'll Never Move

Honestly, if someone had told me when I was leaving University that I would be living in Cairns, and loving it, I never would have believed them. I was so comfortable on the Gold Coast...I'll never move, but I did and it was the best decision I've ever made.

At the time though I was not so confident. I was basically forced into moving from the Gold Coast to Cairns due to a hand injury. Long story short, I couldn't work and after two years of sitting on my bum, I thought it was time to do a bit of traveling.

This lead me to Cairns and once I got settled, I thought I would stay for 12 months and just see what I thought of the place...anyway 23 years later I'm still here and I have zero regrets.

Stagnent 

Staying were you feel comfortable could be holding you back from amazing things. I know it's hard to leave friends and family, but if that's what you have to do...then do it.

I moved to Cairns apprehensively, and initially business was great because there was only one other Podiatrist in town when I arrived, so it wasn't hard to make a living, but today, some 20 + years later there are 13 podiatry clinics.

I could be complaining that there's too many podiatrist and wasting mental energy on how I can beat them, but instead I don't give them a second thought and use all my mental energy on how I can make my business better.

Safety Net

Could I have achieved the same success if I didn't leave the Gold Coast? Maybe, but if things really went pear shaped, I always had the safety net of being able to move back home. I didn't have this luxury in Cairns.

Sometimes you need to burn your bridges, so there's no way of turning back, and this commitment to the cause will pay dividends long term.

If you love where you live and you have no complaints about your income and earning capacity, then there's no need to be looking elsewhere, however if you're not earning what you feel you should and you're not providing for your family adequately, then consider moving.

It's More Than A Location

But moving out of your comfort zone is not just about your location and where you live, it's also about pushing yourself in other areas. If you do not like public speaking, which use to scare me to death,  then you should do it. Speaking in public opens so many business opportunities.

If you don't think you're very good at writing, just start doing it and you will get better. The more you write, the more writing opportunities will arise.

When you move out of your comfort zone - amazing things happen. 

If you enjoyed this blog, please share with your friends and family on Google + and Facebook. 

Tyson E. Franklin
Author | Mentor | Speaker 



No comments:

Post a Comment